This is a Basic Photoshop Tutorial
- I used CS5, but this tutorial will work on all recent versions
- The tutorial is written for IBM PCs, if you are using a Mac convert the short cuts:
- Ctrl becomes command
- Alt becomes option
In this tutorial you will learn to
- create a file for the Web,
- place an image,
- place a semi-transparent layer on top,
- adjust the size of an object,
- add text,
- group layers,
- make text ‘punch through’ a background
- save a file for web purpose
Step 1 – New Document
Create a new document (Ctrl+N or File>New…) and use these settings:
- Preset: Web
- Size: 620 x 411 px (h)
- Resolution: 72 ppi
This is a fairly small size and you can go for a larger size if you wish (eg 800 x 530px). I chose a small size to keep the file size small.
Insider joke: do not use Ctrl+End, but Ctrl+N (Feray and Cliff will understand)…
Step 2 – Save Image
Click the image of Sydney Harbour Bridge (by kconnors and found on morgueFile.com) for this tutorial and save it to your computer or USB. Preferably you want to get a large enough file to work with. So, click on the image and follow the link, select Download Image on morgueFile.com.
Step 3 – Place Image
Place the photo in your document (File>Place and find the file).
After placing adjust the size to fit in your image window. Make sure to hold Shift while adjusting the size (by shifting the corner points). Hit Enter to except.
Step 4 – Create a New Layer and Fill With White
Create a New Layer
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+N (yes this is a looooooooooong shortcut) or click on the icon for New Layer in the Layers panel.
Fill the layer with white
- Press Shift+F5
- Select White at 70% Opacity
You can change the opacity in the Layers panel later.
Step 5 – Change Size of White Layer to Small Banner
Use the Free Transform function (Ctrl+T or Edit>Free Transform). Follow the instructions in step 3 in regards to changing the size. Reduce the opaque white background to the size of a banner and press Enter. (See image)
Step 6 – Type the Title
Use the Type Tool (T) and using capitals, type ‘SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE’.
- Font: Pick a Sans Serif, eg Century Gothic
- Dimensions: something that fills the page, eg 46 pt.
- Click on the tick on the top right hand side of the page or click on the move tool to exit the type mode.
- Now you can use the , or use the Free Transform (Ctrl+T) to adjust the size.
Step 7 – Group the Layers
- Click on your Type layer to select it
- While holding Shift click on the layer with the banner (most likely Layer 2) – this should select both layers.
- Press Ctrl+G to group the selected layers.
Step 8 – Blending Options
- Access the Blending Options by double clicking on the Type layer. Click on the blue, high lighted area around the title. It should open the Blending Options/Layer Style window.
- Change the Fill to 0% and the Knockout to Shallow.
- Press OK.
Step 9 – Save the File
Save it as a PNG and select interlaced. Finito! Benissimo!