- Assessment 2
- Webdesign with Photoshop 960 Grid System
Today you will receive Assessment 2.
For the moment I would like you to commence the first two tasks of the assessment:
Based on your brief that you have developed for assessment 1 develop a concept for a web site with 5 pages, including e-business aspects: the user must be able to purchase units online. PayPal is a good option for this, include a PayPal logo and a PayPal payment option (visually).
Describe each of the 5 pages. Include a page title and a list of keyword suggestions.
Sketch out each page! Create a minimum of 10 wire frame sketches. This means 2 concepts per page.
Create these sketches by hand and scan your sketches and supply as an attachment or paste into Word document.
Some inspirations you will simply find in the artwork and design work of current practitioners and past masters. For current designers you want to look at sites and magazines such as Computer Arts and Computer Arts Projects, Mashable, Design Envy and Dzineblog are just a few inspiring resources.
Below are links and descriptions of some styles and movements that I relate to very much:
- Swiss International Style
- Constructivism (often called Russian Constructivism)
- Vietnames Propaganda Poster
I highly recommend reading up on each and particularly looking at examples of the works. It is good to find out what stylistic choices each movement made and what ideas were big in their days.
Swiss International Style – Joseph Müller-Brockmann – Beethoven Concert Poster – found at http://www.designhistory.com
Contemporary design in style of Constructivism by Teo Brito found at LauraGreen92 – click image for more information and link to her WordPress blog
It is fine to be inspired by other artist’s and designer’s work. Actually, you should look for greatness in other works and reference their works. This is done by paying a tribute to the original artist in form of a homage.
Looking at some bad website might be a good idea to know what possibly to avoid: http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com
Webdesign with Photoshop – 960 Grid System
In-class workshop. We will continue to apply the grid system to a website design. This time we will apply the grid to a gallery. The design will depend on your choices of layout and number of thumbnails that you want to feature.
Screenshot – In-class Tutorial: Applying 960 Grid 12 Col layout from 960 Grid System
- Access the 960 Grid System site: http://960.gs/ and download their 960 Grid System Templates by pressing the ‘Big ol’ Download Button’. This will start the download of a comprehensive folder by Nathan Smith with 960 Grid System templates and plug-ins for Photoshop, DreamWeaver and many other programs.
- In template>Photoshop open the 960_grid_12_col template
- Save the file under a new name and in your class folder.
- Make sure the guides are visible (Command+; or Ctrl+;)
- Add horizontal guides (View>New Guide) at 245px, 255px, 265px, 500px, 510px, 520px, 755px, 765px, 775px and 1010px. Lock your guides (View>Lock Guides or Alt+Ctrl+;) These guides will make it easier to arrange your content and to allow for 10px margins.Setting the grid up.
- Use the M (Rectangular Marquee) Tool to create spaces for a banner, text content, image content and a menu. Fill the spaces with colour (Shift+F5). Place each on individual layers. Name the layers (banner, text content, etc)
- Place images (File>Place). Make sure that they are located on top of the layers with the colourboxes.
- Create Clipping Masks: make sure the banner image sits on top of the banner layer (with the colour space). Have only the layer with the image selected and right click on the active layer (beside the name of the layer) and click on Create Clipping Mask. Your image should take on the dimensions of the layer below. – Alternatively you could use the short cut Ctrl+Alt+G (Cmd+Alt+G).Concept for Gallery Screenshot
The 960_grid_12_col template is based on 12 columns. You can then place your text and images over 1, 2, 3 or more columns. The grid system allows you to organise your website in a visually pleasing way.
Please leave your feedback in form of a comment. Your feedback and suggestions will help me to make this blog more user friendly. Thanks!