EDSS is a combination of Create an Extensible Document (ICPMM491D) and Create an Extensible Style Sheet (ICPMM492D). This class is a cluster of the two units, that will be delivered together.
In today’s class you will learn about XML.
List of Questions/ Tasks
These questions can be found in the attached Word File.
- For what purpose was XML created? Link: W3Schools – Home
- List some of the uses and benefits of XML! Link: W3Schools – How canXML be used?
- XML documents are quite sensitive and the syntax (arrangement of words) must be followed exactly.
Describe XML syntax: what does it need to include and what is the structure? Link:W3Schools – XML Tree Link:W3Schools – Syntax Rules
- What is an XML element and what may it contain? Link: W3Schools – XML Elements
- What are attributes? Give an example of the syntax (how it is used in XML). Link: W3Schools – XML Attributes
- What advice is given in regards to using attributes and elements in XML? What does the writer say about storing meta data and storing data? Link:W3Schools – XML Attributes
- Define ‘Well Formed’ XML document and paste the example supplied on W3Schools! Link: W3Schools – Validation
- Define ‘Valid’ XML document and paste the example supplied on W3Schools! (Use previous link)
- What is the difference between a Well Formed and a Valid XML document? (Use previous link)
- What does DTD stand for? What is its purpose? Paste the example of a DTD used on W3Schools. Link: W3Schools – Validation Link: W3Schools –Introduction to DTD
- W3Schools has a validator for XML. What does a validator do? Find other online or downloadable validators and provide links. Link:W3Schools -Validator
- View how CSS can be used to display XML. Explain what the CSS does by using an element and describing the outcome. Use the code provided at the link and a screen shot of the outcome. Link:W3Schools – XML with CSS
- What is XSLT? What does it do? Link:W3Schools – XML and XLST
- Imagine that you have an online shop and you need to adjust the prices. Use the supplied link and adjust the prices as this: Belgian Waffles:$ 4.95, Strawberry Belgian Waffles:$ 8.95, Berry-Belgian Waffles (SPECIAL):$ 7.95, French Toast $5,95, Homestyle Breakfast – $8.95
Insert the XML code in the blue box! Link:W3Schools – TryIt Editor XML/CSS
W3Schools > We will use W3Schools when learning about the Markup languages.
Note: Your comments and feedback are as always welcome. Please leave additional information for other users. Thanks!